Malta Football Association
Birkirkara maintain Euro challenge, Sliema hit back
Apr 2, 2017
Posted in:
BOV Premier League

Birkirkara maintained the challenge for a place in European competitions with a comfortable 3-0 win over Mosta. The Stripes moved fourth, two points ahead of Floriana who meet rivals Valletta in the derby today. Mosta, on the other hand, remain second from bottom.

A Tyrone Farrugia own goal after seven minutes paved the way for the Stripes who doubled their lead on the 34th through Miguel Angel Alba.


Srdjan Dimitrov completed the scoring 14 minutes from the end.



Sliema Wanderers made the most of their numerical advantage as they came back from a goal down to beat St Andrews 4-1 at the Hibernians Stadium.


The Saints had taken the lead on 30 minutes with a half-volley by Ziga Kastrevec following an Ivan Paz cross from the left.


Matias Muchardi went close to an equaliser but his fine shot, from a free-kick, brought a fine save from St Andrews goalkeeper Jake Galea.


Sliema levelled a few minutes later thanks to captain Alex Muscat who slotted the ball past the St Andrews goalkeeper after running on to a through-pass by Muchardi.


St Andrews’ hopes suffered a blow when, 10 minutes into the second half, defender Won Bong Che was sent off for two bookings.


The Wanderers went ahead on 66 minutes when, off a cross from Alex Muscat, Jean Paul Farrugia headed home at the near post.


St Andrews missed a great chance to equalise when substitute Kyrian Nwoko forced his way into the box only to hit wide from an ideal position.


The Wanderers secured the three points 13 minutes from the end when Mark Scerri’s powerful effort hit the woodwork but Farrugia was on hand to hammer the ball in the top of the net. Muchardi made it 4-1 in stoppage time for Sliema who consolidated sixth spot on 38 points.



Gżira United extended their positive run and ensured their place in the top division next season after a 5-1 win over bottom team Pembroke Athleta who suffered their sixth consecutive defeat.


Gżira needed only five mutes to open the scoring, Italian midfielder Gianmarco Conti heading home from a corner.


After Pembroke goalkeeper Matthew Calleja Cremona denied Juan Corbalan and Carlos Reyna, Gżira doubled their lead on 19 minutes. Paltemio Barbetti felled Ige Abdullahi Adeshina in the box and Andrew Cohen made no mistake from the spot, scoring with a low shot.


Corbalan came close to extending the lead for the Maroons on the 34 minutes but his shot from inside the box was turned away for a corner by Calleja Cremona.


Raphael Kooh Sohna had a good chance to pull one back for Pembroke two minutes from half-time but hit wide from a good position.


Midway into the second half, Stevan Racic’s goal, from a free-kick, seemed to reopen the game for Pembroke but Gżira immediately regained control when Reyna tapped home after Cohen’s free-kick had come off the crossbar.


Reyna stole the limelight as he went on to complete a quickfire hat-trick, scoring twice in the space of two minutes after profiting from glaring mistakes by Pembroke’s defence.



Tarxien Rainbows managed to halt their losing streak after earning a point in a 1-1 draw with Ħamrun Spartans.


The result left the Rainbows one point ahead of the Spartans but both teams have now been leapfrogged by Gżira United.


Alex Nilsson put Tarxien ahead on the half-hour but Jake Grech levelled matters for the Spartans five minutes later.


Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners