Malta Football Association
Valletta outclass Tarxien to join Gżira at the top
Oct 22, 2017
Posted in:
BOV Premier League
Photos: Joe Borg/MFA
Photos: Joe Borg/MFA

  • Photos: Joe Borg/MFA
  • Photos: Joe Borg/MFA
  • Photos: Joe Borg/MFA
  • Photos: Joe Borg/MFA
  • Photos: Joe Borg/MFA

VALLETTA                   6


Valletta joined Gżira United at the top on 19 points after hammering Tarxien Rainbows 6-0 at the Centenary Stadium on Saturday.

The Citizens’ third win in a row was a mere formality after Juan Cruz Gill fired them ahead from close range after Tarxien Rainbows goalkeeper Christian Cassar blocked a Kyrian Nwoko effort.


Nwoko doubled Valletta’s lead in the 34th minute after receiving from Matteo Piciollo. Just before half-time, Santiago Malano made it 3-0 for Valletta after the Rainbows failed to deal with Denni’s corner.


Valletta’s blitz continued in the second half. Steve Borg served Piciollo who headed home from close in and substitute Russell Fenech scored their fifth 10 minutes from time with a rising effort after being put through by Nwoko.


There was still time for a sixth goal by as Nwoko profited from a lapse of concentration in the Tarxien defence to sidestep a defender and hit past Cassar.




Ħamrun Spartans came back from a goal down to beat Senglea Athletic 3-1 on Saturday.


The Spartans moved on the 13-point mark, level with Floriana who meet Mosta today.


It was Senglea who nosed ahead on 11 minutes when Gonzalo Virano broke clear before releasing Augusto Rene Caceres whose powerful drive had the better of Spatrtans goalkeeper Jake Galea.


The Spartans levelled five minutes from the end of the first half. Guilherme Batata’s cross was met by Triston Caruana who headed past Italian goalkeeper Giulio Cetrangolo who was making his debut for Senglea in the absence of the injured Timothy Aquilina.


The Spartans’ afternoon took a turn for the better 10 minutes into the second half. They were awarded a penalty after Guilherme was brought down inside the area by the sliding Steve Bonnici. From the spot, Francisco Manoel Marino Clavero converted.


Senglea had a golden chance to make it 2-2 when they were awarded a penalty in the 69th minute after Tiago Indigo barged into Terence Vella inside the box. Ivan Edgardo Paz’s effort from the spot was pawed away by Jake Galea.


Paz’s frustration boiled over as he was sent off for hitting an opponent six minutes from time. Ħamrun took full advantage as, from the ensuing free-kick, Tiago Souza de Silveira headed the ball home.


BALZAN            2


Erstwhile leaders Gżira United suffered their first defeat on Friday night after falling 2-1 to Balzan for whom Montenegrin striker Bojan Kaljevic scored a brace.


With this win, Balzan moved on 15 points, four behind the Gżira and Valletta who made the most the latter’s loss after beating Tarxien Rainbows 6-0 on Sunday.


After a goalless first half, Kaljevic put Balzan ahead six minutes into the second half but Ndubisi Emmanuel Okoye equalised two minutes later.


Balzan secured the points in stoppage time as they were awarded a penalty after Karl Pulo was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box.


Kaljevic made no mistake from the spot.




Birkirkara were back to winning ways after defeating bottom-placed Lija Athletic 2-0 on Friday.


Having lost four of their opening seven matches, Birkirkara were under pressure to stop the rot. Their win was not as straightforward as the scoreline suggests as Lija Athletic missed a host of inviting scoring chances.


Luke Montebello gave the Stripes the lead on the 18th minute but they had to wait until a minute from time to seal the points.


Edward Herrera’s close-range goal put Birkirkara’s minds at rest.




Naxxar Lions claimed the first win of the season after seeing off St Andrews 3-1 at the Centenary Stadium on Friday.


St Andrews opened the scoring when Jacob Walker lobbed the ball nicely over goalkeeper Nicht following a through-pass.


The Saints were the better side for much of the first half but Naxxar were awarded a penalty four minutes from half-time for a handling infringement.


From the penalty spot, Scott James Fenwick levelled matters.

Naxxar were a transformed side in the second half. They went ahead eight minutes after the restart when Yuri De Jesus Messias scored with a superb shot from outside the box.


The Lions could have scored their third six minutes from the end but Daniel Bustos was denied by Matthew Calleja Cremona, the St Andrews goalkeeper.


Naxxar sealed the issue on the stroke of time when Duane Bonnici came face-to face with goalkeeper Calleja Cremona and duly scored to give his side a 3-1 win.

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners