Malta Football Association
Valletta hit stride in second half to claim first win
Sep 17, 2018
Posted in:
BOV Premier League
Photo: Domenic Aquilina/MFA
Photo: Domenic Aquilina/MFA

  • Photo: Domenic Aquilina/MFA
  • Photo: Joe Borg/MFA
  • Photo: Domenic Aquilina/MFA
  • Photo: Joe Borg/MFA



Valletta turned on the style on the second half to collect their first three points of the season, beating rivals Birkirkara 0-3 in the so called ‘national derby’ on Sunday.

The champions paraded new recruit Bojan Kaljevic (ex-Balzan) who made an instant impact by scoring Valletta’s opener in the second half of an entertaining match.


The first half was balance but Valletta were the better side after the break.


The first chance came after nine minutes.


After some good work on the right, a shot by Birkirkara midfielder Terence Agius t from just inside the box was turned away for a corner by Valletta goalkeeper Henry Bonello.


In the 32nd minute, Paul Fenech’s thunderbolt from 25 meteres out was tipped over the crossbar by the same Bonello.


Four minutes later, Valletta had a great chance as Mario Fontanella burst into the box but his shot from close in was repelled by Birkirkara goalkeeper Kristijan Naumovski, who also blocked Kaljevic’s attempt a minute later.


The second half was 10 minutes old when Valletta opened the scoring. It was a cross from the right flank towards the unmarked Kaljevic who headed the ball behind Naumovski.


Matteo Picciolo had a shot saved by the Birkirkara goalkeeper with 19 minutes remaining as Valletta continued to pile the pressure on the Stripes.


A minute later, Myles Beerman, on loan from Glasgow Rangers, made his debut for Birkirkara, replacing Milan Basrak.
Kyrian Nwoko, who had come on for Kaljevic at the same moment, was also denied by Naumovski but a minute later, Valletta sealed the issue.


Latching on to a through-pass, Fontanella raced into the box before hitting a low shot that had the better of Naumovski.
Bogdan Gavrila, on as a substitute, added a third for the Citizens six minutes from the end with an angled drive to the delight of Valletta fans.


Two minutes from time, defender Jonathan Caruana came on as a substitute, making his return from suspension.


BOV player of the match: Bojan Kaljevic (Valletta).






Gżira United maintained their unbeaten start to the season after seeing off the challenge of neighbours Sliema Wanderers, winning 2-0 at the Victor Tedesco Stadium on Sunday.


Darren Abdilla’s side joined Ħamrun Spartans at the top the BOV Premier League table on seven points while Sliema conceded their first defeat after successive wins.


Gżira forged ahead in the 27th minute following an own goal by Stefano Bianciardi who deflected a left-wing cross by Amadou Samb into his own goal.


As the players were heading to the dressing rooms, Sliema midfielder Ryan Fenech was sent off by referee Malcolm Spiteri for addressing a match official in an abusive manner.


Despite being down to 10 men, the Wanderers could have equalised nine minutes into the second half. They were awarded a penalty after Jefferson de Assis was brought down inside the area but Mattias Muchardi’s effort was stopped by Gżira goalkeeper Justin Haber.


This proved a costly miss for the Wanderers as four minutes later, Amadou Samb scored Gżira’s second goal, concluding a counter-attack with a clinical finish from close range.


BOV player of the match: Amadou Samb (Gżira United).




ST ANDREW’S            0

A late Massimo Ganci goal extended Ħamrun Spartans’ unbeaten start to the season but they had to fight hard for their win against the 10-man St Andrew’s at the National Stadium on Sunday.


The Saints had Amoy Brown sent off for two yellow cards seven minutes from half-time.


A Ganci header just missed target in the 27th minute after a cross from the right while Kevin Tulimieri’s shot from just outside the box was deflected for a corner by St Andrew’s defender Ricardo Martin.


The Spartans continued to create the better chances.


Sebastian Nayar’s free-kick in the 55th minute was saved in style by St Andrew’s goalkeeper Matthew Calleja Cremona.


Three minutes later, Kemar Reid was close for St Andrew’s but he was denied by Ħamrun goalkeeper Manuel Bartolo.
Midway into the second half, another effort from Tulimieri, one of the most active players throughout the match, just missed target following an assist from Njongo Priso.


Ħamrun scored the winner eight minutes from the end. A Triston Caruana free-kick from the left was beaten away by Calleja-Cremona but the ball fell in the path of Ganci who volleyed home.


BOV player of the match: Massimo Ganci (Ħamrun Spartans).



MOSTA                         3


Mosta made it two wins in a row in the BOV Premier League after defeating Tarxien Rainbows 3-1 at the Victor Tedesco Stadium on Sunday.


Mosta took the lead on 18 minutes, courtesy of Misael Miranda Gomez who raced into the box before rifling past Tarxien goalkeeper Andrea Cassar.


Late in the first half, Tyrone Farrugia doubled Mosta’s lead after connecting with James Brincat’s corner.


Michele Paolucci briefly revived Tarxien’s hopes with a fine shot just before half-time but, seven minutes into the second half, Mosta sealed their win.


Miranda Gomez was the provider as he released James Brincat who had the better of Cassar.


BOV player of the match: Kei Hirose (Mosta)

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners