Malta Football Association
Żurrieq, Msida St Joseph and Attard off to flying start
Oct 21, 2020
Posted in:
BOV Amateur League A
BOV Amateur League B
BOV Amateur League C
(C) Stephen Gatt
(C) Stephen Gatt

  • (C) Stephen Gatt
  • (C) Walter Sargent
  • (C) Walter Sargent


Żurrieq 5 Mellieħa 1

Last Friday, Żurrieq attained a comprehensive victory over Mellieħa in the opening match of the BOV Amateur League 2020/21. Led by coach George Magri, Żurrieq broke deadlock on 16 minutes through an Aidan Caruana header. Five minutes after, they doubled their lead thanks to a direct corner from Andre Joe Cutajar. 
On 25 minutes it was Erik Pietribiasi who capitalised on a rebound to make it 3-0 for Żurrieq. Mellieħa reduced the arrears on 41 minutes after a personal run by Michael Micallef. 
Żurrieq started the second half brightly as they clinched their fourth goal with a grounder from Pietribiasi. Żurrieq rubberstamped their victory as substitute Jean Paul Formosa beat the Mellieħa keeper for their final and fifth goal.



Birżebbuġa St Peter’s 2 Għargħur 1

In a balanced encounter, Birżebbuġa overcame Għargħur by the odd goal in three. Brazilian livewire Vinicius de Souza Ferreira missed a scoring opportunity in the 16th minute but two minutes later he opened the scoring for the Blues. 


The match came to life in the last 15 minutes. After hitting the crossbar in the 76th minute, the team of Paul Camilleri were awarded a penalty, which was converted by Shawn Vella. Two minutes later, Birżebbuġa St Peter’s defender Brendan Scerri scored an unlucky own goal but Għargħur were unable to salvage a draw in the remaining minutes.




Għaxaq 0 Marsaskala 2

Marsaskala FC went ahead in the 20th minute when, from a perfect pass by Bennett Schembri, Adrian Bonavia placed the ball behind veteran goalkeeper Ludvic Fardell. 


Għaxaq’s first attempt on target came from Radovan Duric in the 28th minute, an attempt saved by Christian Camilleri. Għaxaq came close to an equaliser on 53 minutes when Duric crossed perfectly for Ian Calleja who headed just wide. Marsaskala secured the win thanks to substitute Warren Zerafa who doubled the score after a well-taken free-kick by Radnor Farrugia in the 65th minute.  


Ta’ Xbiex 1 Mġarr United 6

As the score indicates, Mġarr United proved too strong for Ta’ Xbiex. Mġarr, led by Patrick Curmi started building pressure immediately from kick-off with Zack Camilleri broke the stalemate in the fifth minute with a well-timed header. 


Jaime Lee Micallef doubled their lead in the 22nd minute with another header following an error from Ta Xbiex defence. Micallef added his second five minutes later after a cross from Aaron Sammut. 


On the half-hour mark, Sammut added goal number four, a splendid goal with a shot from just outside the box. In the 42nd minute, Ta’ Xbiex pulled one back after a fine free-kick by captain Andrew Xuereb.  


After the break, Mġarr consolidated their dominance, adding two more goals by Clayton Borg, who struck from close range on the hour.  Sammut was again on the scoresheet for his team when he made it 6-1 following a counter-attack in the 72nd minute.






Rabat Ajax 2 Żabbar St Patrick 2


Żabbar St Patrick looked headed for a perfect start when a late Wayne Borg goal in added time rescued a point for Rabat Ajax. Rabat took an early 13th-minute lead thanks to young Maverick Cassar.


On the stroke of half-time, Żabbar equalised through Christian Desira. Just after the hour mark, Zabbar were awarded a penalty, converted by Jean-Claud Cesare. Rabat kept on pressing for an equaliser, which eventually arrived deep into added time. 




Msida St Joseph 4 Mdina Knights 1


Msida St Joseph look a hard nut to crack this season, convincingly beating a modest Mdina Knights side with veteran striker Timmy Thomas showing his usual class with a well-taken hat-trick. 


Under the leadership of Giuseppe Cristaldi, Msida dominated the first half. They awarded an early penalty after Andreas Anastasi pulled Alexander Cauchi inside the box. Thomas converted the penalty-kick and in the 19th minute, Lian Xuereb doubled the score with an angled shot from the edge of the box. 


Two minutes later, Thomas added his second to make it 3-0 before making it four for Msida on 37 minutes after some great work by an unstoppable Xuereb on the left. 


The second half was a different story. On 51 minutes, a Kurt Drakard’s shot just missed target for Mdina. In the 64th minute, it was the same Drakard who reduced the deficit. 


Two minutes later, Msida’s Ciro Quaranta was given a straight red card for retaliation. For the remainder of the game, Mdina kept attacking but failed to breach Msida’s defence. 






Melita 2 Kalkara United 1


Melita were the better team in and fully deserved their win. During a goalless first half, they hit the post twice and Kalkara goalkeeper Clive Caruana made a series of brilliant saves to prevent Melita's team from taking the lead. 


After the break, Kalkara came out better and unexpectedly took the lead in the 47th minute. Ronnie Celeste took advantage of a moment of hesitation by Melita goalkeeper Lawrence Cauchi and amid the ensuing melee, Anthony Ewurum hit home. 


Melita levelled on the hour mark. Daniel Cutajar delivered the ball to Jean-Pierre Attard, who beat the offside trap and the onrushing goalkeeper. Deep into stoppage time, Melita forward Noel Omondi was fouled inside the box and the referee signalled a penalty. Michael Cachia made no mistake to give his team the three points.




Xgħajra Tornados 0 Attard 4


Attard began the season with an emphatic 4-0 win over a disappointing Xghajra Tornados team in a combative game. Early on, a Nigel Spiteri shot from 20-metre distance was turned away for a corner by Xgħajra goalkeeper Lark Falzon. On the half-hour mark, Attard took the lead when Xgħajra centre-back Julian Spiteri unluckily headed past Falzon in an attempt to clear a Nicholas Schembri cross from the left.


On the stroke of half-time, Xgħajra defender Deemer Cutajar was dismissed for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity with the referee pointing to the spot. However, Falzon saved Spiteri’s spotkick in style to keep his team in the match.


Just after the hour, Schembri doubled the score for Attard with a low shot after a fine run on the left. Falzon performed another brilliant save from a Spiteri attempt in the 79th minute. It was game over when Kevin Camilleri added a third goal for Attard in the 86th minute and a minute later, substitute Christian Farrugia added a fourth. 


After the final whistle, Xgħajra goalkeeper Falzon marred his positive performance with a red card for dissent.




Kirkop United 2 Dingli Swallows 2


Kirkop and Dingli shared the spoils in an entertaining match. Kirkop took an early lead thanks to their experienced striker Ayrton Buhagiar in the eighth minute.


Andrew Scerri equalised for Dingli in the 26th after some hesitant defending of the Kirkop rear-guard. In the 35rd minute, Kirkop regained the lead thanks to a wonderful Buhagiar volley, after a free-kick of Matthew Cassar created havoc in the Dingli defence.


On the stroke of half-time, Lincoln Micallef should have made it three for Kirkop after being sent through but failed to find target. Throughout the second half, Dingli pushed forward in search for an equaliser, without initially creating many scoring opportunities. 


However, on the stroke of time, hard-working midfielder Robert Ciantar did well to save a point for Dingli with a shot that was deflected by Kirkop defender Jean-Claude Vella.

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners