Malta Football Association
Attard, Mġarr, Marsaskala and Melita make it two out of two
Oct 29, 2020
Posted in:
BOV Amateur League A
BOV Amateur League B
BOV Amateur League C
(c) Walter Sargent
(c) Walter Sargent

  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent


Żurrieq 2 Birżebbuġa St Peter’s 2
Żurrieq and Birżebbuġa St Peter’s shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw.
Birżebbuġa forgead ahead on nine minutes through Shawn Vella. After the interval, Żurrieq managed to restore parity thanks to Jean Paul Formosa on 72 minutes. The match continued to be an entertaining affair as the Southseasiders gained the advantage again through substitute Sam Kind on 82 minutes but Żurrieq were awarded an added-time penalty, scored by Eric Pietribiasi.


Għargħur 3 Ta’ Xbiex 1
Għargħur left it late to shake off the resistance of Ta’ Xbiex. The Reds enjoyed a good start and immediately went ahead after only 20 seconds, Nicholas Formosa hitting home from close range.

Just after the half-hour mark, Ta’ Xbiex were awarded a penalty, converted by captain Nicholas Scicluna. Għargħur continued to dominate with most of the danger coming from Nigerian striker Ikechukwu Igwemeke, but Ta’ Xbiex goalkeeper Matthew Schembri denied him on several occasions.

On 66 minutes, Ta’ Xbiex centre-back Ryan Polidano was sent off and Għargħur took full advantage to go 2-1 up on 73 minutes thanks to Karl Azzopardi. Igwemeke added a third goal seven minutes later.  


ġarr United 2 Għaxaq 0
Patrick Curmi’s MġarrUnited made it two out of two but were made to fight hard for their points by Għaxaq.

The Northerners took the lead on 13 minutes thanks to a wonderful free-kick by Aaron Sammut. On 34 minutes, a Radovan Duric free-kick on the other side was turned away a corner with difficulty by Tyrone Gauci.

In the 67th minute, Sammut had a huge opportunity to double the score as he came face-to-face with Għaxaq goalkeeper Ludvic Fardellbut he failed to find the target. Thirteen minutes from time, substitute Lazar Doric added the second goal for Mġarr with a fine header.

Jamie Lee Micallef missed a sitter for Mġarr on 81 minutes and on the stroke of time, Carlston Cardona missed a glorious opportunity for Għaxaq.


Mellieħa 1 Marsaskala 2
Marsaskala have enjoyed a fine start to the league, winning their second match of the season. Captain Joseph Chetcuti opened the scoring on 23 minutes and on 38 minutes, Dario Aquilina doubled their lead.

Mellieħa suffered a setback on 35 minutes when regular goalkeeper James Magro was unable to continue due to injury. He was replaced by 16-year-old Mark Cutajar. Mellieħa did well to get back into the match after the break however, creating goalscoring opportunities, with Daniel Saliba reducing the arrears on 66 minutes, but Marsaskala held firm until the end to claim the spoils.




Żabbar St Patrick 0 Luqa St Andrew’s 3
Edmond Lufi’s St Andrew’s started their league campaign with a convincing win over Żabbar St Patrick.

In the 11th minute, Mario Jude Dominicius put Luqa 1-0 ahead, hitting home from close range after a corner action. At the other end, Isaac Abela’s lob on 31 minutes went inches over the crossbar.

Six minutes later, Dominicius could have added Luqa’s second goal but Żabbar goalkeeper Levi Saliba saved. In the closing minutes of the first half, Danny Claridge increased Luqa’s lead, being the most alert in the box after some good work by Dominicius.

After the break, Żabbar pressed hard to get back into the match but sufferd a blow in the 76th minute when young Tristan Duncan, who had just entered the pitch as a substitute, was sentoff for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity inside the box. From the penalty spot, Claridge made no mistake to put the result beyond doubt.



Siġġiewi 1 Msida St Joseph 0
Siggiewi also started the season well with a hard-earned win over Msida. The best chances in the first half were clearly for Siġġiewi. On 17 minutes, a sizzling shot by Aaron Agius hit the post.

Three minutes later, Emmanuel Mbong’s attempt just missed target and in the 34th minute,Samuel Vella’s shot just missed target after some good work by Mbong. Six minutes into the second half, Siġġiewi took the lead.

A cross by Andre Farrugia from the left was misjudged by the Msida rearguard and it was Mbong who was on hand to score into an empty net. Just after the hour, Msida were unlucky when Timmy Thomas hit the post and two minutes later, Lian Xuereb missed from close range. Thomas’s header from a corner action deep into added time went over the crossbar.




Santa Venera Lightnings 0 Melita 4

Melita also won their second match of the season, easing past Santa Venera Lightnings 4-0. The Amateurs dominated proceedings from start till finish and it was no surprise that they achieved the three points at stake against a modest Santa Venera side.

Young 20-year-old striker Eman Falzon stole the show as he netted a first-half hat-trick with goals on 18, 31 and 45 minutes. Michael Cachia rubberstamped his team's victory with a fourth goal around the hour.



Kalkara United 2 Xgħajra Tornados 1
Kalkara scored an added-time winner to beat a luckless Xgħajra side in a balanced match. Kalkara took the lead on 18 minutes thanks to a Ronnie Celeste header,after some fine work from Nathan Attard on the right wing.

Kalkara could have added a second in the 24th minute when Alan Tabone crossed diagonally to Aidan Agius Gilford whose angled shot from just outside the box hit the post. Xgħajra gradually came more into the match and just before the half-time whistle, Reuter Degiorgio equalised.

The second half was a drab affair and with the match heading for a draw, Isaac Galea rounded off some good work by Tabone to give Edward Azzopardi’s team the three points.



Attard 2 Kirkop United 1

Attard also won their second match of the league after beating Kirkop United by the odd goal in three.
The first attempt on target came on nine minutes when Bledi Alla’s shot went just over the bar. Attard opened the scoring a minute later when Kevin Camilleri's cross was well placed behind Kirkop veteran goalkeeper Matthew Xerxen by Julian Iwueke.

Attard continued to show their superiority when they grabbed their second in the 24th minute. A free-kick by Nigel Spiteri was deflected off the defensive wall and into the net. On the half-hour Mark Spiteri hit the crossbar.

Kirkop's first shot on goal arrived just before the break when captain Ayrton Buhagiar’s shot from outside the box was saved by Zach Valletta. On the hour, Nicholas Schembri was sent through but his attempt waswide. In the 64th minute, Buhagiar scored after a rare Kirkop attack to bring the excitement back into the game, but the team led by coach Jeffrey Mifsud were unable to find the net as Attard maintained their perfect start to the season.

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners