Malta Football Association
Pembroke and San Ġwann keep pressure on Marsa
Jan 21, 2021
Posted in:
BOV Challenge League
(c) Stephen Gatt
(c) Stephen Gatt

  • (c) Stephen Gatt
  • (c) Stephen Gatt
  • (c) Stephen Gatt
  • (c) Stephen Gatt

While Marsa were held to a draw by Vittoriosa Stars, Pembroke and San Ġwann collected valuable points to keep the pressure on the league leaders. In the lower part of the ranking, Pieta' earned a valid point while Fgura beat St Andrews in a spectacular seven goal thriller.

Naxxar Lions 0 Pembroke Athleta 3

Yesterday evening, Pembroke moved to within two points of league leaders Marsa with a convincing 3-0 win over Naxxar Lions. The Lions did the early running with Pembroke looking uneasy in the first ten minutes. Pembroke goalkeeper Philip Schranz made a fine save of an Edson Faria header, but then on ten minutes Pembroke took the lead when Jonathan Bajada fired a great shot from well outside the area with the ball hitting the upright before finishing behind Omar Borg. It was a completely different game now with Pembroke all over their opponents who lost all their initial flair. On 21 minutes Pembroke doubled the score when Abdul’s header was brilliantly saved by Borg but Marshall was on hand to tap the ball home. At the start of the second half, Pembroke’s Neil Frendo was unlucky when his shot hit the base of the upright. Pembroke controlled the rest of the game with Naxxar taking the upper hand but never getting close to scoring. Eleven minutes from time substitute Lawrence Chiedozie put the game the bed scoring the third goal from close range.


Vittoriosa Stars 2 Marsa 2

League leaders Marsa once again failed to beat Vittoriosa this season after a spectacular 2-2, in a match marred by some incidents on the field of play with several clashes on the field, clashes that led to two red cards. Marsa can consider themselves unlucky in the end after hitting the post three times and failing to grab the three points at stake. However, Vittoriosa were stubborn at the back and lethal in attack scoring two of the few chances that came their way. Against the run of play, the Cottonera side took the lead on 29 minutes when Denilson Borg Castaldi was floored by Francesco Gusman. From the penalty spot, Renan Bigode made no mistake. Five minutes after the break, Marsa drew level with a rather soft goal from a deflected cross by Philip Chircop. On 66 minutes, Vittoriosa’s Joseph Farrugia and Marsa’s Josmar Galea were sent off after a free for all in mid-pitch. On 89 minutes Marsa took the lead through Lydon Micallef, who came on as a substitute. When all seemed lost, Vittoriosa snatched an equaliser on 91 minutes with a header by substitute Liam Gauci.


Qrendi 1 San Ġwann 3

San Ġwann easily defeated Qrendi 3-1 to make it a double over Qrendi who suffered twelve goals in their last three outings. With this win, San Ġwann moved to third spot in the standings, equal on points with Swieqi but San Ġwann have played a game more. The match was completely dominated by the yellows in the first fifty minutes of the game, with their recent imports Sjaak Kuyper and Quadri Adediran in splendid form, scoring the goals for the winners. San Ġwann started on the offensive and after missing a sitter after a couple of minutes, Kuyper headed home on eight minutes. San Ġwann even hit the post with a Glen Pace cross shot and on 34 minutes doubled the score with a well taken goal scored by Adediran. On the resumption San Ġwann continued to attack and on 52 minutes Adediran was again on the mark heading home from a corner action. On 55 minutes Qrendi pulled on back with a well-orchestrated move finished off in style by Sebastian Perdomo. The match had little or nothing more to offer as San Ġwann easily controlled Qrendi’s desperate attempts to get back in the game and managed to hold on to their lead to grab three further points.


Pieta’ Hotspurs 3 Pembroke Athleta 3

Brian Spiteri’s Pieta’ gained another point in their battle against relegation in a very entertaining match against high flyers Pembroke. The Hotspurs, coming from three consecutive wins, grabbed a point in the last few seconds of the game, after another positive display. The returning Peter Paul Sammut opened the score for Pembroke on 13 minutes, but James Scicluna converted a penalty in the 25th minute to put the game level. Sammut was on the score sheet again on the half hour mark, restoring the lead for Pembroke. Six minutes later, Pedrinho extended the lead for Pembroke with a great strike from well outside the box, sending his team into the break with a two-goal advantage. In the 73rd minute, Diego Segura reduced the gap and the same player secured a dramatic point for Pieta’ deep into added time, his tenth of the season. 


Naxxar Lions 2 Qormi 0

Last Sunday, without setting any houses on fire, Naxxar easily beat bottom side Qormi, who seem destined for Amateur League football next season. Qormi defended well throughout the match, but had little to offer up front. In the 23rd minute, Wilfred Zamble was fouled in the box with Bradley Schembri converting from the penalty spot. Qormi captain Iven Zammit, was booked for a second time in the 76th minute and received his marching orders. One minute before the end of regular time, Naxxar substitute Javier Tenorio added a second for his team, who added a very welcome three points in their bid for salvation.


Mqabba 0 Żebbuġ Rangers 0

Both teams desperately needed the points in their battle against relegation but figured in a scoreless draw, a draw that leaves both sides in troubled waters. Żebbuġ were surely the better team throughout the match and would have deserved to grab the points at stake. Fausto Craighero’s men were severely handicapped on 28 minutes when Clive Gauci, playing his 100th second level league match, received a second booking, just five minutes before the first yellow card, leaving Żebbuġ with ten players for the rest of the match. The same Gauci was unlucky earlier on when his shot was stopped by the upright. In the second half Żebbuġ were with the very strong wind behind their backs and continued to attack with Mqabba on the defensive and practically never venturing forward. Żebbuġ however were rarely dangerous too and the scoreless draw can be considered as a fair result.


Fgura United 4 St Andrews 3

Fgura made a double over St.Andrews, winning the encounter in torrential rain. It was a spectacle to watch in this seven-goal thriller which finally went Fgura’s way, even though a draw would have been a fairer result. But it must be said that both teams wanted victory and even when the Saints made it 3-3 on 91 minutes, both sides still went on the attack to grab the winner. Fgura took the lead on 22 minutes when new signing Dylan Caruana headed home a Joshua Barbara cross. One minute before the break, the Saints drew level with a stunning goal scored by William Camilleri from a very long distance. On the resumption Caruana darted in the penalty area and was floored by the goalkeeper and from the penalty spot Donys Quintero made no mistake. On 65 minutes, St.Andrews again drew level when young Sebastian Cassar Torregiani headed home the rebound following a great save by Brandon Bartolo. The Saints were now in control with Bartolo distinguishing himself with a string of great saves. Ten minutes from time and against the run of play, Fgura took again the lead when Camilleri scored a classic own goal in an attempt to clear. Brian Said’s eleven did not give up pushing desperately forward and were rewarded on 91 minutes when substitute Nicholas Bradshaw scored direct from a freekick. But it was not over as two minutes later, Sergio Hili, another substitute, scored the winner for Fgura, with the same player shown a straight red for dissent seconds later.

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners